Gum infection or periodontal disease is a very common problem. It is known to be linked with other heart problems such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, diabetes, bad breath, etc. Periodontal disease goes mostly unnoticed at early stages which makes it very difficult to deal with. Though, you need to know that adopting a few preventive measures can be really helpful in reducing the chances of suffering from gum disease. All you need to do is just put in some effort and invest care to ensure the well-being of your oral health. Our dentists have come up with effective tips to prevent periodontal infection. Keep them in mind and try to incorporate them as much as possible into your daily schedule.
- Brush your teeth – Never go to bed without brushing your teeth. Not brushing your teeth at least twice a day will lead to the formation of plaque (a yellow film-like substance consisting of harmful bacteria). This can be the reason for gum infection. So, dentists advise you to brush regularly. Be careful to not skip brushing along your gum line. Use a toothbrush that has softer bristles. Brushing your teeth with hard bristles can harm the enamel and cause tooth decay. Also, try to maintain a time gap of 30 minutes to 60 minutes between intake of food and brushing. You should use a specific toothpaste made for sensitive teeth if you are suffering from tooth sensitivity.
- Floss your teeth – Flossing is important if you want to prevent periodontal infection or gum disease. It helps to clean the areas that can hardly be reached by a toothbrush. A lot of people face difficulty while flossing in the beginning. But, it gets easier with time. Floss before brushing your teeth for better results.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinse your mouth with a mouthwash to fight against the bacteria that are responsible for gum disease. There are various kinds of bacteria available on the market. Consult your dentist to figure out which one will suit your oral requirements the best.
- Eat healthily – It is advisable to avoid sugary food items and beverages. Do you know why? The human mouth consists of harmful bacteria that thrive in the presence of sugar. On the other hand, you should include more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Visit your dentist – Last but not least, you should visit the dentist once in a while. Getting your mouth checked increases the chances of the gum disease getting diagnosed at an early stage. So, you will not have to go through a tough time.
Despite adopting the above-mentioned tips in your life, you can still suffer from a periodontal infection. In that case, do not hesitate to book an appointment at Choice Family Dentistry. Just give us a call to avail of top-quality oral checkups and periodontal treatment in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.