Sleep apnea is a kind of sleep disorder that interrupts an individual’s breathing while he/she is sleeping. Obesity and age are chief contributing factors to the advancement of the condition.
There are two major kinds of sleep apnea—Central and Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Check out its Symptoms:
- Frequent, loud snoring
- Choking, snorting, or gasping while asleep
- Sleep interruptions or insomnia
- Waking up with a sore throat or dry mouth
- Daytime sleepiness and fatigue
- Waking up several times at night to urinate
- Morning headache
Some tips to cure Sleep Apnea and get a better sleep experience:
For mild cases of sleep apnea, lifestyle changes may be enough to treat the problem.
- Lose weight: When you lose some weight, it can open up your throat and improve sleep apnea symptoms.
- Exercise: Aerobic exercise, resistance training, and yoga are all recommendable choices for strengthening the muscles in your airways and enhancing breathing.
- Sleep on your side: Lying on your back is the worst position for sleep apnea. It makes the jaw, tongue, and other soft tissues to drop back toward the throat, narrowing your airway. Lying on your side enables you to keep your airway open. You can also sleep on your belly. And if you’re lying on your back, keep your head elevated.
- Stay away from alcohol, anti-anxiety medication, and other sedatives: particularly before bedtime. Because they relax the muscles in the throat and disturb your breathing. Using a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device when you sleep is a solution. A CPAP device works to keep your airways open. This involves wearing a mask over your mouth and nose while you sleep. The mask is fixed to a device that pumps air into your throat via a hose. Thereby inflating the throat and preventing it from collapsing!
- Surgery may also be an option for few patients. Let your Dentist in Rancho Cucamonga decide what’s apt for you!
THE BOTTOM LINE
Sleep apnea can also cause numerous health hazards—in some cases life-threatening. And it’s worth getting checked out since untreated sleep apnea can have significant health consequences, like:
- Excessive sleepiness
- Rising mood disorders like depression and anxiety
- High blood pressure
- Worsening memory and loss of ability to concentrate
- Weight gain
- Rising risk of strokes, irregular heart beats
- Metabolic abnormalities
- Liver issues
If you suspect sleep apnea, talk to your Dentist in Rancho Cucamonga without delay.
Now, if you’re looking for the best ‘Dentist near Me’ in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, then surely visit us at Choice Family Dentistry where you can get the best treatment for your oral conditions.